The West London Free School has been given the go ahead to move to Palingswick House.
The school is currently based in Cambridge Grove. It will now turn Palingswick House in King Street into a new 4,300 square metre school for 600 pupils, aged 11-16.
The decision on whether to allow plans for the building to change its use to a school, to renovate the building and build an adjoining block at the site was made at Hammersmith & Fulham Council’s planning applications committee.
The application means two Victorian ‘buildings of merit’ – Palingswick House and the superintendent’s house, known as ‘The Lodge’ – will now be fully refurbished. A four-storey building with a glass atrium, housing an assembly hall, kitchen and dining room and classrooms will also be built.
The plans show 20 standard classrooms, six science laboratories, two art studios, two music rooms, a main hall, a library, rooms for central support staff and administration facilities at the scheme.
Palingswick House was originally built around 1849 as a family home, but over the years has been used as an orphanage and workhouse, the orphanage’s superintendent’s house, a school, children’s home, hostel for diabetic children and a community resource centre.
West London Free School – which opened in September 2011 – hopes to open at the King Street address next September (2013), with an initial pupil role of 360. Each following year the number of pupils will increase by 120 until the capacity of 600 students were reached in 2015.