West London companies have won half the awards available at the London Business Awards 2020.
The London Business Awards are a celebration of some of the most exciting companies and entrepreneurs based in the UK capital, showcasing their success stories and highlighting London’s status as a global business community.
With award categories spanning a variety of growth areas, this year’s winners were (West London companies in bold):
• One To Watch – Spyras (an Imperial College spin off)
• Disruptor of the Year – Mitt Wearables (based in the Ugli Building in White City)
• Best London Newcomer – Sitetracker (based in Hammersmith Town Centre)
• Impact Award for Education – VotesForSchools
• Impact Award for Health – Medshr (based near Charing Cross Hospital)
• Impact Award for Environment (joint winner) – Olio
• Impact Award for Environment (joint winner) – Ocean Bottle
• Startup of the Year – FilmChain (and Imperial College supported spin out)
• Scaleup of the Year – Checkout.com
• Paying It Forward – Dr Anne-Marie Imafidon MBE
In his speech at the ceremony, Rajesh Agrawal, Deputy Mayor of London for Business, reiterated that London remains open to business, talent and investment from around the world. Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London also said: “My warmest congratulations go to all the winners and nominees. London is a richer, stronger and more vibrant place thanks to their contributions, helping to power our economy, enrich our society and create the prosperity that sustains our communities.”
Laura Citron, CEO London & Partners, London’s international trade, investment and promotion agency added: “It’s an important time to be celebrating London’s business community – its diversity, creativity, ambition, knowledge transfer and warmth. These awards are an opportunity to shine a light on the success of London’s businesses that make London such a global hub for innovation.”
A number of awarded companies are graduates of the Business Growth Programme and the Mayor’s International Business Programme – the accelerator programmes run by London & Partners that provide free support services to help high-growth startups and scaleups expand in the capital, and beyond. Between them, the Business Growth Programme and Mayor’s International Business Programme have supported more than 1500 London-based businesses in the technology, life sciences, creative and urban sectors.