The Polish Bakery, based in Park Royal, scooped three awards at the 2017 West London Business Awards, including the title of West London Company of the Year.
The awards were presented at Wembley Stadium by former Blue Peter presenter and West Londoner Konnie Huq.
Finalists represented all sectors including retail, construction, hospitality and finance. Traditional crafts such as baking and signwriting were also represented as well as the very best of West London’s tech firms whose products and services could hardly have been imagined 20 years ago.
Founded in 2003, the Polish Bakery began by supplying London through independent stores, before going nationwide, and now supply Asda, Waitrose, Tesco and Sainsburys. The awards judging panel said the Polish Bakery were “an outstanding representation of how local roots can breed national success”.
Other notable winners from the evening included Uxbridge’s BRITA Vivreau; Alexanders Removals and Storage of Park Royal and Chiswick tech company Chargebox who each claimed two awards at the ceremony.
Awards host Konnie Huq, said: “Very well done to The Polish Bakery, and to all our winners tonight. Indeed to everyone who made it to the shortlists. There’s some fabulous business talent here in West London and it’s been a privilege to host this award ceremony recognising you all.”
Agnes Gabriel-Damaz, Managing Director of The Polish Bakery Wembley, said: “We are really delighted we have been recognised by the business community in West London in this way. We have been based in Park Royal from the beginning and have built a flourishing business here using only natural sourdough in our breads and no preservatives, something which when we began was ground-breaking and still sets us apart. We know there are still more great opportunities for us to grow our business and reach people who have not discovered our delicious range of bread and cakes, or our exciting new gluten free ranges. Winning West London Business Awards endorses our commitment to deliver great quality products and superb customer service.”
Andrew Dakers, Chief Executive of West London Business and a member of the judging panel said of the winners: “We were hugely impressed with the standard of entries we saw in this fourth year of the awards. Every year the selection process gets that much harder and that’s clearly due to the growing competitiveness and higher standards we’re seeing from the West London business community with every passing year. All of tonight’s shortlisted companies are prospering, creating jobs and contributing to our local economy and are setting the benchmark for the next generation of talent in our area.”
Full list of 2017 winners:
1. Business Services Company of the Year – Alexanders Removals and Storage Ltd.
2. Logistics Business of the Year – Alexanders Removals and Storage Ltd.
Highly Commended: Parcelly
3. Retail Business of the Year – Dreams Limited
4. Technology Business of the Year – Chargebox
5. Hospitality Business of the Year – Westfield London – Destination Food
6. Food and Drink Business of the Year – The Polish Bakery
Highly Commended: Chika’s Foods
7. Property and Construction Business of the Year – Wilkinson Construction Consultants
8. Creative and Media Business of the Year – Maternitybuyer.com
9. Finance Business of the Year – Handelsbanken
10. Manufacturing and Engineering Business of the Year – Chargebox
Highly Commended: Everglade Windows
11. Franchise of the Year – Appt Corporation trading as McDonald’s
Highly Commended: Recognition Express
12. Aviation Business of the Year – En Route International Ltd
SUSTAINABLE AND RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS
1. Responsible Workplace Award – JGA Group
2. Apprentice of the Year – Alex Hubbard – Employer: One Care IT | Training provider: Uxbridge College
• Alexandria Achilleos – Employer: Aqua Restaurant Group | Training provider: West London’s College
• Jubril Enyoisi – Employer: JGA Group as Workplace mentor | Training provider: The JGA Group
• Sinead Fletcher-White – Employer: Colham Manor Primary School | Training provider: Uxbridge College
• Louie Maggioni – Employer: James J. Hutchinson Building Solutions | Training provider: West London’s College
• Sukvinder Mahey – Employer: Accendo Pharma | Training provider: The JGA Group
3. Community Investment Award – Shepherds Bush Housing Group
Highly Commended: A Slice of Nice
Highly Commended: Octink
4. Green Business of the Year – BRITA Vivreau
Highly Commended: Kolak Snack Foods
5. Responsible Supply Chain Award – BRITA Vivreau
Highly Commended: Lofbergs
1. Productivity and Innovation in Business Award – Locata
2. Coworking Space of the Year – Dephna Group
Highly Commended: Co Work Hub
3. Export/International Business of the Year – Durbin
4. SME of the Year – vDoc
5. Park Royal Business of the Year – The Polish Bakery
Highly Commended: Co Work Hub