London’s Mayor has said he will not intervene in the planning decision for Fairview’s development at Gayton Road.
Harrow Council approved proposals for 383 apartments in five blocks on the central Harrow site on May 14. There had been opposition from residents concerned about the scale and density of the scheme.
Greater London Authority advisors agreed last week that the Council’s decision should stand.
Their report said: "At the consultation stage, the former Mayor [Ken Livingstone] expressed dissatisfaction with the proposed 35 per cent affordable housing provision and requested that this be increased.
"The site acquisition cost was of particular concern, given that the majority of the site is owned by the council. Concern was also raised over the mix of social rented units, which was at odds with the guidance in the London Plan."
The Council successfully argued that Fairview New Homes and Mount Anvil needed to be allowed to build more flats for market sale to justify the purchase price the two companies would pay the council for the land, which is earmarked to fund the new Harrow Leisure Centre in Wealdstone.
Harrow Councillor Navin Shah, who is also Labour Assembly Member for Brent and Harrow, told the Harrow Observer: "Boris said he would not allow tall buildings to be built in the outer London boroughs, so the Mayor has already gone back on his election pledge.