A new public park will be created in Harrow under proposals announced by Harrow Council.
Pinner Park will stretch from Headstone to Hatch End, and will cover an area bigger than Greenwich Park. It will comprise of over 230 acres of land which are currently occupied by a private company on Pinner Park Farm.
The listed buildings and historical ruins of Pinner Park Farm would be restored under the proposals, which also put forward plans for a small number of luxury properties – the sale of which will fund the works.
Deputy Leader of Harrow Council, Councillor Keith Ferry said: “Pinner Park Farm was once a hunting ground, and has been privately let by the Council for the last 64 years. These proposals remove inappropriate industrial units from this historic site, and return more than 200 acres of land to the people of the Borough to use and enjoy as they wish.”
The park, also known as Pinner Deer Park, is a scheduled monument, was original owned by the Archbishop of Canterbury and the first reference to it as a deer park appears in 1273. The extant banks and ditches that mark the boundary of the original deer hunting areas are designated as scheduled monuments. Under the Council proposals the monuments and the listed buildings will be protected. The park was sold to the council in 1930.
Harrow Council will now be developing the proposals and will consult on the more detailed plans for the site in the first half of 2015.