A new panel of experts has been appointed to advise the Mayor of London on major development schemes in the capital, with the aim of promoting “the highest quality of architecture and urban design in high-profile regeneration projects”.
The relaunch of the Mayor’s Design Advisory Group as a significant player in shaping future developments will affect schemes which fall under the Mayor’s responsibility through his regeneration, planning, housing and land powers.
The former Mayor’s Design Advisory Panel was established following the election in 2008. Initially chaired by Sir Simon Milton and subsequently by Daniel Moylan, its term came to an end on April 30th 2012.
The new panel includes Sir Terry Farrell and a number of other architects like Roger Hawkins, Eric Parry and Sunand Prasad. It also includes Richard Powell of Earls Court developer Capco, Peter Murray, chairman of New London Architecture, and Pam Alexander, the former SEEDA director.
The group will focus on schemes led by the Greater London Authority and Transport for London, in particular it will be asked to comment on major investment programmes driven by funding from the Mayor’s Regeneration Fund and the Outer London Fund.
The Mayor of London Boris Johnson said: “London is an ever-changing city. With the enormous potential of regeneration being unlocked across the capital, we must promote architecture and design of the highest possible standard.
“The advisory group will be instrumental in shaping not only a London-wide design strategy, but also advising on key planning decisions which have a direct impact on our high streets, public places and neighbourhoods across the boroughs.”
The Mayor’s Design Advisory Group will be chaired by Fiona Fletcher-Smith, the Mayor’s executive director of development and enterprise.
The full list of members is:
- Joyce Bridges, Former Cabe Commissioner, Former English Heritage Commissioner and Chair of EH’s LAC. Member of EH’s Urban Panel. Design Council CABE Built Environment Expert panel.
- Sir Terry Farrell, Architect, Farrells
- Eric Parry, Architect, Eric Parry Architects
- Sunand Prasad, Architect, Penoyre & Prasad LLP
- Patricia Brown, Director of Central
- Fred Manson – Former Director of Regeneration Southwark. Associate Director Heatherwick Studio; Chair UDL Design Surgery
- Peter Murray – Chairman, New London Architecture
- Colin Haylock – President of Board of Trustees, RTPI
- Fiona Scott – Former Architects Journal Scholar and Director Gort Scott
- Stephen Witherford – Member Tate Modern Council; CABE; RIBA Advisor; Visiting Fellow LSE Cities
- David Levitt – Design champion Catalyst Housing Group; Board, Design for Homes; CABE Enabler
- June Barnes – Group Chief Executive, East Thames Housing Group; Board Member National Housing Fed.
- Richard Powell – Director of Planning and Development, Capital and Counties.
- Pam Alexander – Trustee of the Design Council, non-exec Director of DC Cabe and a Built Environment Expert for Cabe, non-exec Director of Crest Nicholson and a Director of the Academy of Urbanism.
- Roger Hawkins – Partner HawkinsBrown. Bob Allies – Partner Allies and Morrison; a member of the CABE National Design Review Panel and a member of the RIBA Awards Group